Dodian Forums

Dodian Forums (https://dodian.net/forums.php)
-   Dodian Server (https://dodian.net/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Improving The Gameplay (https://dodian.net/showthread.php?t=182)

Nozemi 02-16-2019 03:22 PM

Improving The Gameplay

EDIT: You're now able to reply to this thread. So please do when you can find the time!

So I'm thinking about joining the team, bringing my own ideas and actually making them happen. However, it would need to be something that the community actually want to see, otherwise I'm not going to bother.

I have two problems with Dodian, mainly that is. The end game content kind of sucks, always has (maybe always will). The bossing is kind of useless, because the same people always keeps afk-ing the bosses, so no one else can kill them.

(Potential) Boss Solution:
So this is in no way a new idea, it has been brought up before. We could have a system where you'd have to defeat guards or finish some kind of mini-quest before you proceed to kill the boss. Upon each kill, you're teleported away, either to the entrance or to home. By doing this, we'd not be able to run around and kill every boss all the time, because we simply wouldn't have the time.

Secondly, we could add a new kind of drop system, for certain (or all) bosses. Where each player participating in the kill would have a chance at getting a drop.

There could also be co-op bosses, which would require multiple players to kill them. Which certainly should give each player a chance at a reward.

A (Potential) Late Game Improvement:
So what do we do once we reach our desired 99s? Nothing! There's nothing left to be doing, other than grinding for that bank. Why would we do that? Because we're bored, but after a while, even that is more boring than looking into a wall.

So what if we introduced prestige for skills, where you'd get X bonus and/or benefit, depending on the skill? Which of course would come along with a highscore system that supports this kind of thing.

KwQ 02-16-2019 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nozemi (Post 646)
So I'm thinking about joining the team, bringing my own ideas and actually making them happen. However, it would need to be something that the community actually want to see, otherwise I'm not going to bother.

I have two problems with Dodian, mainly that is. The end game content kind of sucks, always has (maybe always will). The bossing is kind of useless, because the same people always keeps afk-ing the bosses, so no one else can kill them.

(Potential) Boss Solution:
So this is in no way a new idea, it has been brought up before. We could have a system where you'd have to defeat guards or finish some kind of mini-quest before you proceed to kill the boss. Upon each kill, you're teleported away, either to the entrance or to home. By doing this, we'd not be able to run around and kill every boss all the time, because we simply wouldn't have the time.

This would be a pretty cool idea. I'm all for change as long as it's improving the game, and not just change for the sake of change.

Quote:

Secondly, we could add a new kind of drop system, for certain (or all) bosses. Where each player participating in the kill would have a chance at getting a drop.

I agree with this also. It prevents people potentially gate-keeping new players from better gear. This works more like a lottery system once there are more people too. 5 people attacking Dad would give people with less gear a much higher chance to get the drop.

Quote:

There could also be co-op bosses, which would require multiple players to kill them. Which certainly should give each player a chance at a reward.

Group stuff is always great. Duo-Slayer on XIV was the most fun I've ever had on a Dodian-style server.

Quote:

A (Potential) Late Game Improvement:
So what do we do once we reach our desired 99s? Nothing! There's nothing left to be doing, other than grinding for that bank. Why would we do that? Because we're bored, but after a while, even that is more boring than looking into a wall.

So what if we introduced prestige for skills, where you'd get X bonus and/or benefit, depending on the skill? Which of course would come along with a highscore system that supports this kind of thing.

I'm in favor for a prestige system like this, but it's not gonna keep everyone around longer. It might work for some people, but some people don't care about the grind.

I'd like to see these ideas implemented, but finding someone to do it who is dedicated, willing, and has the skills for it is going to be a challenge.

Nozemi 02-16-2019 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KwQ (Post 647)

I'd like to see these ideas implemented, but finding someone to do it who is dedicated, willing, and has the skills for it is going to be a challenge.

I have the skills and I'm willing to do it.

Ass Wiper 02-18-2019 07:18 AM

I would certainly love these changes!

Dodian23 02-18-2019 10:32 AM

So the (End Game) is horrible because we do not have the amount of content a server that once held 300+ people should have.

1) The boss system itself is WORKABLE, though can be improved. But it's not the boss system we should be looking at, it's the amount of bosses. We simply need more bosses. May a few changes to the boss system would make things harder ( in a good way ), Example; Instead of a boss dropping a whole key, maybe bring in "Half key" and make us have to get 2 parts of a key to be able to enter, and delete the combat level requirement for Dad.

2) End game Items. Well this is just a fail in itself because the end game items are a simple set which is easy enough to get and obtain. Add more end items. Example; New mage items, new range items, some new melee sets and weapons. This would make for more competitive bossing, pking, and mini-games.

3) Skilling - The skilling system is outdated, slow, and almost useless. If we could implement a system which makes skills useful. Example: Achievement points, more skilling items, more skilling areas.

4) For god sake please do not use this client/source. If you really wanna use it at least do basic updates to client. Fix textures, text, items. Or maybe switch clients to OSRS, and do Dodian based, in this way we will have 100s of new items, bosses, content..

Nozemi 02-18-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodian (Post 670)
So the (End Game) is horrible because we do not have the amount of content a server that once held 300+ people should have.

1) The boss system itself is WORKABLE, though can be improved. But it's not the boss system we should be looking at, it's the amount of bosses. We simply need more bosses. May a few changes to the boss system would make things harder ( in a good way ), Example; Instead of a boss dropping a whole key, maybe bring in "Half key" and make us have to get 2 parts of a key to be able to enter, and delete the combat level requirement for Dad.

2) End game Items. Well this is just a fail in itself because the end game items are a simple set which is easy enough to get and obtain. Add more end items. Example; New mage items, new range items, some new melee sets and weapons. This would make for more competitive bossing, pking, and mini-games.

3) Skilling - The skilling system is outdated, slow, and almost useless. If we could implement a system which makes skills useful. Example: Achievement points, more skilling items, more skilling areas.

4) For god sake please do not use this client/source. If you really wanna use it at least do basic updates to client. Fix textures, text, items. Or maybe switch clients to OSRS, and do Dodian based, in this way we will have 100s of new items, bosses, content..

1) I don't necessarily agree to more bosses. I think that we should first work with what we have, make it feel more natural/alive, if that makes sense.

2) The end game is trash, that's not a secret. However, there are multiple answers to making a nice end game.

3) The skilling system will need A LOT of work. It's so useless in it's current shape.

4) We're already looking into this.

I only mentioned two of the tings I've been thinking about in my thread. Because those two things are simple and will potentially make a decent impact on the gameplay. Achievements being one of them.

However, my main concern is to work with what we already have. There have been countless of attempts at adding new bosses, new items, new areas and things that moves away from how we know Dodian. So I'm thinking that it could be a good idea to start polishing the existing content, but not too drastically.