Dodian Forums

Dodian Forums (https://dodian.net/forums.php)
-   Dodian Server (https://dodian.net/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Sneak Peak (https://dodian.net/showthread.php?t=227)

Nozemi 03-11-2019 02:35 AM

Sneak Peak

I thought I'd share this since the alpha server is currently offline.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...jw8snPCtpM.gif

This is indeed a server with OSRS data, so there will be a lot of new items and NPCs to choose from when we introduce new things.

Quality of life should greatly improve with this server as well. However, we still need to complete all the Dodian functionality. See this link for a status: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...FRSVRiuEA/edit

Tiylz 03-11-2019 04:42 AM

Looks great, can't wait! :D

Nightleaf 03-11-2019 08:10 PM

Terrible hitsplat sprites, text without a shadow, nasty health bars from OSRS, Icon in the middle of a special bar that makes it harder to see the text. :( I am disappoint.

Edit: Brightness config not set on the client so its dark and ugly :(
Edit: HD skill icons in the levelup dialogue :(

Kuzmin 03-11-2019 09:01 PM

That Java icon tho ;)

Nozemi 03-12-2019 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightleaf (Post 910)
Terrible hitsplat sprites, text without a shadow, nasty health bars from OSRS, Icon in the middle of a special bar that makes it harder to see the text. :( I am disappoint.

Edit: Brightness config not set on the client so its dark and ugly :(
Edit: HD skill icons in the levelup dialogue :(

Not my work, blame Professor Oak on R-S, or whoever did those. This source sure has it's flaws too, but aside from those visual faults, it's really smooth!

There is a brightness config I can tweak in the client, but I liked it like this to be honest. However, there are 4 levels iirc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuzmin (Post 911)
That Java icon tho ;)

hahah yeah, that's what developer icon is. So everyone with the developer rank gets that Java icon. Not my work either, but I don't care to change it. :P

Nightleaf 03-12-2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nozemi (Post 913)
Not my work, blame Professor Oak on R-S, or whoever did those. This source sure has it's flaws too, but aside from those visual faults, it's really smooth!

There is a brightness config I can tweak in the client, but I liked it like this to be honest. However, there are 4 levels iirc.

hahah yeah, that's what developer icon is. So everyone with the developer rank gets that Java icon. Not my work either, but I don't care to change it. :P

send packet 32 (which is setConfig) and then set brightness

Conscio 03-13-2019 10:53 PM

This is just my opinion as I don't believe that it is possible to objectively define what Dodian is, but I don't think that this sneak peek is very Dodian-like.

What I think Dodian is, is a product of its time:
- A limited choice of armors that we wanted in our childhoods (god armor, whip, etc)
- Leveraged limited server technology to create unique content designs. An example of this is spawning NPCs in patterns as they cannot move around.
- Charming nostalgia over functionality. Dodian always had a client that looked close to the 317-459 era that it came from even when its competitors adopted 474+ game frames.

I worry that this sneak peek will lead to a modern looking server with Dodian inspired content, that will just play awkwardly as the two are contradictory.

Furthermore, I apologize that this may be undermining your hard work. I know that your intentions are with the community and that you're putting more effort into preserving Dodian than anybody else.

Nozemi 03-14-2019 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conscio (Post 928)
This is just my opinion as I don't believe that it is possible to objectively define what Dodian is, but I don't think that this sneak peek is very Dodian-like.

What I think Dodian is, is a product of its time:
- A limited choice of armors that we wanted in our childhoods (god armor, whip, etc)
- Leveraged limited server technology to create unique content designs. An example of this is spawning NPCs in patterns as they cannot move around.
- Charming nostalgia over functionality. Dodian always had a client that looked close to the 317-459 era that it came from even when its competitors adopted 474+ game frames.

I worry that this sneak peek will lead to a modern looking server with Dodian inspired content, that will just play awkwardly as the two are contradictory.

Furthermore, I apologize that this may be undermining your hard work. I know that your intentions are with the community and that you're putting more effort into preserving Dodian than anybody else.

I mostly agree with you on these things. However, we've seen time and time again that we can never successfully make a remake of Dodian. So why not take what Dodian had, and try to do the best out of it? Hopefully we can sustain a decent playerbase over a longer duration of time than we have in the past.

I will just put Dodian content into this source, then the plan is to polish it and make it more modern. I will do my best to keep the Dodian feel to this.

Either this is a hit and miss, or we succeed. Either way I'm having fun developing it.

It's no secret that Dodian's design was very bad. In 2019 it's even worse, because the standards have been growing. So that's what I'm trying to do. Dodian's concept is good, and I believe that without doing drastic changes that takes away the nostalgia, we can still make this better fitted for 2019.

Now it's up to time to tell whether we will succeed or not. I'm being hopeful! Either way, I'm having fun developing this, so if it fails, it fails, I at least enjoyed the time I spent working on it. :)

Lastly; about those items in the sneak peak, they were just random items I spawned, that may or may not be introduced.

Mrquarter 03-16-2019 12:43 PM

Excited for this! Any planned release date?

Nozemi 03-16-2019 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrquarter (Post 934)
Excited for this! Any planned release date?

No planned release, but I will put the alpha version back online by the end of this weekend.