Dodian Forums

Dodian Forums (https://dodian.net/forums.php)
-   Dodian Server (https://dodian.net/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Ub3r Server Repository Maintenance Updates (https://dodian.net/showthread.php?t=807)

Nozemi 05-01-2022 02:55 AM

Ub3r Server Repository Maintenance Updates

I've decided to do some maintenance updates on the repository containing the source code for the game server & client that is hosted as we speak. This mostly revolves around other things than you'd notice in-game.

The repository can be found here: https://github.com/dodian-community/ub3r-monorepo

Documentation & Easier to use
I've started writing some documentation trying to explain how to set it up. Additionally, I've both dumped the necessary data from our database to get it running as well as making it as easy as possible to import it into a fresh database.

GitHub Issues
I've started adding some issues that I want to get done eventually. Sometimes, there might also be issues that are suitable for some of you to look at, when/if you want/choose to. This way we can pursue the community initiative to keep Dodian maintained and smooth.

Can you add new content or features? Sure, you can set the server up locally to add/update features or content, however, I can't promise we will be adding it to the live server. If you have something you hope to be added to the live server, please consult with the staff team first, and we'll do the necessary arrangements if we see fit to add said changes.

My Doings Past Couple Weeks
- Started working towards an easy-to-set-up package for the current server and website. Currently, I've kept the website (vBulletin) stuff private, because it's not complete enough to release yet. However, the ultimate plan is to make it trivial to launch Ub3r for yourself, either if you wanted to make your own Dodian remake, mess around locally or with friends, or develop on it.

- Added a constants class to the client, making it a lot easier to change the various values the client uses. Such as the game port and IP address/hostname.

- Merged Supertje's changes and deployed them to the live server. He did a few fixes, among other things fixed Ardougne roofs and Fire Cape animation. So thanks a lot to him for contributing his time and efforts, as he has also done in the past!

- Couple of rather technical changes, like removing the old config system and adding DotEnv config system (using environment variables for config instead) - keeping it short and in minimal detail, as it might not interest a lot of people. Though it's a step forward in terms of maintainability, and a leap toward the plans I have for streamlined deployment.

- Like mentioned in the beginning of the thread; I've started writing some documentation on how to use the open source repository containing the source code for the currently hosted game server.

Lastly I want to say; don't expect something huge from me - while I may seem to work hard, dedicated, and efficient with Dodian at times, it does take time before anything huge and noticeable to in-game players happens.

Redsnow 05-01-2022 05:55 PM

Awesome Nozemi!

supertje 05-02-2022 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nozemi (Post 3057)
- Merged Supertje's changes and deployed them to the live server. He did a few fixes, among other things fixed Ardougne roofs and Fire Cape animation. So thanks a lot to him for contributing his time and efforts, as he has also done in the past!

thanks for mentioning, if anyone finds map side bugs let me know and i'll see if i can fix it.

I'm still an amateur, but that's how I try to keep dodian alive.

Also @Nozemi thanks for the hard work :)

Nozemi 05-02-2022 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supertje (Post 3060)
thanks for mentioning, if anyone finds map side bugs let me know and i'll see if i can fix it.

I'm still an amateur, but that's how I try to keep dodian alive.

Also @Nozemi thanks for the hard work :)

Well, never trying will keep you an amateur for the rest of your life, everyone starts somewhere :P Besides, in Dodian's current shape and our current activity, any contribution is both very welcome and very needed! :)

Ivan 05-30-2022 07:03 AM

I admire the fact that you're still in the game. Quite refreshing.