Dodian Forums

Dodian Forums (https://dodian.net/forums.php)
-   Dodian Server (https://dodian.net/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   New Server & Client (https://dodian.net/showthread.php?t=490)

Nozemi 05-05-2020 02:25 PM

New Server & Client

Thought I'd let you know that over the past few days I picked up my Dodian work again to work on a new server and client. You can follow the progress of the development on Github.

First off we're going to remake Dodian the way Dodian was, with little to no changes. When that's done, we'll launch it and start shaping it's future, or leave it the way it is.

I also thought it's time we then see some payable, in terms of cosmetic items, maybe other perks. Haven't started planning this yet, but we're open for suggestions!

I will also stress that we have no plans to reset the current progress. However it's an option to do that once we go live with this new server, if the community favors it and it's the right move that is.

David 05-05-2020 03:54 PM

yaaaa reset it once it goes live

Jabast 05-05-2020 03:55 PM

I think just eco reset would be fine, but then again who am I rite? :P

Psionyx 05-05-2020 10:12 PM

Excited for this! Though, I'd be a no vote on the reset myself. Those who want a reset, have their own personal reasons why lol.. mostly stakers who lost it all. If people want to start fresh, make a new account possibly? The quest to be the richest on the server is why many don't just start over.. want the reset as to not have to compete against the people winning. Just my opinion on resets. Let people keep their progress I say. If everyone was running around with 20 whips and phat sets like it's wooden sheilds.. then yeah reset. But economy isn't damaged.. it's just slow.

L2mbChop 05-06-2020 03:22 AM

No reset man i have grinded here so many hours, i think i would not play it again from 0
Delate items maybe but not the skills

junkbot 05-06-2020 08:04 AM

The only way I would accept to have a reset is if those who have spent so much time already grinding get perks. I don't know what perks, but there should be something no one can get, like prestige levels in COD. Say for example there was an extra skills or something or somewhere where you kept store of the prestige. That being said I would not want it reset. I've always been a firm believer in expanding the game further to add new features for those who are higher level. Maybe another boss or two, maybe some new items for them to get, but definitely not a hard reset.

Jabast 05-06-2020 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psionyx (Post 2042)
Excited for this! Though, I'd be a no vote on the reset myself. Those who want a reset, have their own personal reasons why lol.. mostly stakers who lost it all. If people want to start fresh, make a new account possibly? The quest to be the richest on the server is why many don't just start over.. want the reset as to not have to compete against the people winning. Just my opinion on resets. Let people keep their progress I say. If everyone was running around with 20 whips and phat sets like it's wooden sheilds.. then yeah reset. But economy isn't damaged.. it's just slow.

Don't think any staker responded here yet but k

Psionyx 05-06-2020 12:08 PM

I'm just reffering to instances I've seen in-game chats and discord, and not particularly recent as we don't have many people playing this moment. The people I've seen saying there should be a reset are people who have a reason why, not that the economy is truly broken. And noones gunna say "I got cleaned, reset the eco" either.. I'm not naming names or instances, I'm just being general on my reasoning why I don't want a reset as I don't believe the economy is broken. Things like the new year's event would have been a huge waste of time. Many of the 20+ people we had on then still have their accounts, if they choose to come back just to start at square one again might be a deterant, as many were fresh accounts. Most new dodian players are returning players. Just my opinions on the matter. If the vote passes on reset then so be it. I just don't understand why people can't just make new accounts if they want to start fresh, what does it matter what everyone else has for stats and their bank? I'm usually only in favor of eco resets after something like a massive dupe that caused damage beyond repair

Eikenboom 05-07-2020 06:11 AM

and what revision it will be? OSRS? 317, 474?

And do we rework the forums again? This one becomes realy slow, also we run version 3 right now and 5 is out?

Skip the Gym 05-07-2020 12:35 PM

no reset, and i'll stop staking

Nozemi 05-07-2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eikenboom (Post 2047)
and what revision it will be? OSRS? 317, 474?

And do we rework the forums again? This one becomes realy slow, also we run version 3 right now and 5 is out?

317, loading OSRS #130 or so. It's a Elvarg base.

Nothing will happen with the forums yet. vBulletin 5 is a pile of shit. If anything we'd go with vBulletin 4. But realistically we're not going to continue vBulletin at all if I am to do something with the forums.

I'm well aware that this one is slow. I could look into that. Quite sure that has to do with some shitty code that was produced on top of vBulletin over the years. I've noticed it's usually only slow on the frontpage and highscores.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psionyx (Post 2042)
But economy isn't damaged.. it's just slow.

Economy is definitely damaged as a result of dupes. Whether we reset it or not is another discussion all together though. I haven't looked into what is currently in the economy, so I can't say for sure what best approach would be on the matter.

KxWarrior 05-07-2020 10:29 PM

how many resets has this server had since it closed since the original? Keep the stats/eco.

Nozemi 05-08-2020 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KxWarrior (Post 2051)
how many resets has this server had since it closed since the original? Keep the stats/eco.

Too many. There is also this; how many times did we have solid code behind it?

Anyway, I don't think there will be a reset.

Fabrice L 05-08-2020 05:55 AM

There has never been solid code behind it. And the moments we actually had some solid server running people voted it off and wanted the old server back lol

Jobbernowl 05-08-2020 08:20 AM

Only people up to date here are people currently playing so the voting is kinda skewed. If some word got out there could be a new server with an eco reset I'm sure we'd actually have a playerbase.

Nozemi 05-08-2020 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobbernowl (Post 2054)
Only people up to date here are people currently playing so the voting is kinda skewed. If some word got out there could be a new server with an eco reset I'm sure we'd actually have a playerbase.

Well, this is not a traditional vote. I just want to get an idea on who wants to vote what, then make a decision based on it in the direction that I think will benefit the most.

Although I don't see a real reason to reset yet. All it will get us in terms of playerbase is short term grinders that just try to stay #1. Who will leave once they're too far behind in the race.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fabrice L (Post 2053)
There has never been solid code behind it. And the moments we actually had some solid server running people voted it off and wanted the old server back lol

This time they don't get to :)

Fabrice L 05-08-2020 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nozemi (Post 2056)
This time they don't get to :)

Hope they dont

At everyone wondering, I'm FMod bc I'm special 😛

Goku 05-08-2020 11:13 PM

I'll be back if everything is reset and an active team.

Pro Noob 05-09-2020 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goku (Post 2060)

Just because no updates, do not mean the team has been inactive. (If you are refering to the staff team)

Nozemi 05-09-2020 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fabrice L (Post 2057)
Hope they dont

At everyone wondering, I'm FMod bc I'm special 😛

Best forum mod ever :) Thanks for your services <3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goku (Post 2060)

Realistically it currently seems like best you can hope for is a wipe of the eco. Though at the moment, it seems like the best route is to just carry on and try to tackle the current progress/eco in the best way possible.

That said, I probably won't be around to work hard on that part of the project. Let's put it this way; we're in phase 1, which is getting a new server live. Phase 2 is continued development, which I probably won't be arsed with personally.

Though after phase 1, we're looking at a Dodian that is easy to add on to, and everything is open source. Which means it's up to the community to shape it the way they want.

Feared Box 05-09-2020 11:24 AM

If we are switching to a new base, and might not have access to getting items currently in game, then we definitely need an eco wipe at least. At that point, I just think everything should be wiped to put everyone at an even starting point.

Nozemi 05-09-2020 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feared Box (Post 2065)
If we are switching to a new base, and might not have access to getting items currently in game, then we definitely need an eco wipe at least. At that point, I just think everything should be wiped to put everyone at an even starting point.

New base != new content. New base just means less bugs and an overall better experience playing the current game.

Feared Box 05-09-2020 09:01 PM

Sure, but it can also be a good time to rebase an eco where top gear isn't obtainable anymore. By either resetting the eco or making those items obtainable again. Regardless, either of those things can be done with or without the new base, just an ideal time I guess.

NotIdeal 05-09-2020 11:22 PM

Just make an iron man / HCIM mode to keep people happy without a reset.

Nozemi 05-11-2020 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotIdeal (Post 2069)
Just make an iron man / HCIM mode to keep people happy without a reset.

That's a likely addition to be made along with the new server :)

lilho0ligan 05-11-2020 11:52 PM

if anyone wants a fresh start just make a new account. not fair for anyone to loose current progress because some want a fresh start

Nightleaf 05-12-2020 10:20 PM

Realistically it won't matter, until something fundamentally changes and a decent project gets off the ground this won't go anywhere like it hasn't for several years.

Cache 05-12-2020 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightleaf (Post 2080)
Realistically it won't matter, until something fundamentally changes and a decent project gets off the ground this won't go anywhere like it hasn't for several years.

Thanks for your faith in us <3

Feared Box 05-12-2020 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightleaf (Post 2080)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cache (Post 2081)

He does have a point though, there is a proven track record...hence the many times there has been new servers randomly popping up.

We need an actual team behind it first, then actually reaching out to find players through any means that we have.

Nightleaf 05-12-2020 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cache (Post 2081)

Look at the state of the community and the server that people are playing. Then add in the history of Dodian in the last several years, I would love to see this flourish but I haven't seen evidence that it will. I'm not saying it to be rude but to make sure it makes someone work hard to get it vaguely close to what it was again, or to re-invent it into something new that is even better.

NotIdeal 05-13-2020 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightleaf (Post 2084)
Look at the state of the community and the server that people are playing. Then add in the history of Dodian in the last several years, I would love to see this flourish but I haven't seen evidence that it will. I'm not saying it to be rude but to make sure it makes someone work hard to get it vaguely close to what it was again, or to re-invent it into something new that is even better.

Will never flourish, check out any top 100 list and 97/100 are pre-EOC (Custom) PVM servers with raids that are majority of the time P2W.

Nightleaf 05-13-2020 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotIdeal (Post 2085)
Will never flourish, check out any top 100 list and 97/100 are pre-EOC (Custom) PVM servers with raids that are majority of the time P2W.

That was my point.

Zman 05-15-2020 08:03 PM

should reset and make a big announcement via email to past members before relaunch :)

N0t 05-17-2020 07:21 AM

hope they reset it

just reset the server good for the eco

KxWarrior 05-17-2020 11:10 AM

Feel like every time the server is reset half the people leave.

For once I say leave it up. Its not like it’s 1:1 to rs for xp

junkbot 05-17-2020 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KxWarrior (Post 2100)
Feel like every time the server is reset half the people leave.

For once I say leave it up. Its not like it’s 1:1 to rs for xp

Agree with this. If it is reset I might come back, but honestly if I know today that it is going to be reset, I'm not going to play for the next idc how many months until the reset. And many people will think the same. Then who knows who will come back after the reset.

Jords 05-19-2020 02:22 AM

Reset, and scale back attainable items, in particular best is slot etc
Start basic and let accounts and the economy work their way up
Release items/content as it sees fit
I also think there needs to a bigger focus what the player base want also
I even think some changes to the original Dodian are necessary

Nekromancer 05-19-2020 03:49 AM

What do you think about reset economy and only combat skills ?

Wolf 05-19-2020 10:43 AM

Being one of the most active players lately (on break and staying up late lol) and observing things, i get all sides but i think as of now, resetting is a bad option. Itll only serve to scare away those few of us that ACTUALLY play and the new people weve worked hard to help and keep coming back.
4-5 max for months to seeing 10-15 regularly over this one week alone is progress no matter how small :)
If i was an old vet and i came back to an empty bank, fresh stats and all that time i spent gone, i wouldnt have it in me to do all that again and id probs quit.

Just food for thought!
we all wanna see dodian become something awesome :)

Nozemi 05-21-2020 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jords (Post 2106)
I also think there needs to a bigger focus what the player base want also

I haven't seen a lot of requests tbf. Also a problem with fulfilling requests have been the server's source code being limiting, as well as limited amount of hands to write the code. I for one am not likely to implement any content or changes to Dodian.

Also there have been attempts at adding content/changes that community seems to want, however every time this is done, it leads to a lot of drama. Hence why I personally just pushed for a legacy Dodian remake that resembles what Dodian once was, not like a Dodian-modernization.

The conclusion is probably to consider what the community want, but consider them thoroughly before just going ahead and adding it. There are quite a few things that community seems to want, but isn't necessarily a good thing to add.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jords (Post 2106)
Reset, and scale back attainable items, in particular best is slot etc
Start basic and let accounts and the economy work their way up
Release items/content as it sees fit

Probably won't happen. There is no real reason to reset the current progress. Think the best we'll be able to do is adding ironman modes, and potentially some highscores to go with it, so people can compete with that as well.

Potentially we could look into adding a highscores list option for post new server launch, where only characters created after that point will be listed, so those who wish to compete for the #1 spots post new server launch could do, and at the same time reach for the all time highscores. Guess that could be called seasonal highscores.

Without a real plan, there really is no point resetting the eco. Dodian never had good content, it always had badly designed content. The design stems from someone developing an RSPS for fun, and eventually it shaped into what Dodian became, people loved it, and it worked because there was a decently sized community around it. This isn't the case anymore, so we need to consider that.

If we are really going to push towards changes. A complete revamp (which has been attempted before), would be the way to go, and a new name to go with it. This is why I pursued Eldrios instead, because that doesn't make any expectations that it should be like Dodian or keep any elements.

Because when we start changing Dodian's content, it doesn't become Dodian anymore, which means we kinda lose the whole point of having a Dodian remake. It's better to have another server/project, under a new name to go along with the legacy Dodian remake with minimal changes.

This is my take on it anyway. If anyone has any opinions, they can feel free to voice them and it'll be considered :)

The biggest problem at the moment is time, hands and willingness to write code for Dodian. Would need to be more involvement on those for this to shape into a good remake.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf (Post 2108)
Being one of the most active players lately (on break and staying up late lol) and observing things, i get all sides but i think as of now, resetting is a bad option. Itll only serve to scare away those few of us that ACTUALLY play and the new people weve worked hard to help and keep coming back.
4-5 max for months to seeing 10-15 regularly over this one week alone is progress no matter how small :)
If i was an old vet and i came back to an empty bank, fresh stats and all that time i spent gone, i wouldnt have it in me to do all that again and id probs quit.

Just food for thought!
we all wanna see dodian become something awesome :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nekromancer (Post 2107)
What do you think about reset economy and only combat skills ?

Think you'll find lots of answers in my reply to Jords :)

KxWarrior 05-21-2020 05:33 PM

Queue Snook learning to code it.

K B D K0 05-22-2020 08:31 AM

Quote:

Yes, reset everything!
Lure me back in, it's been a while

Nano 05-22-2020 05:53 PM

I first started Dodian in 2007.

It ended in 2009/10.

Leave it there - I appreciate the efforts to revive it but it'll never be what it was. I understand the Admins will disagree as they want it to succeed but deep down...they know as well.

Nozemi 05-23-2020 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nano (Post 2120)

It ended in 2009/10.

Leave it there - I appreciate the efforts to revive it but it'll never be what it was. I understand the Admins will disagree as they want it to succeed but deep down...they know as well.

Okay fella. You just made yourself look like a retard

It's not about reviving what it was, it's about keeping a remake online for those who wants to play it. So take your shit elsewhere. Thanks :)

Fabrice L 05-26-2020 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nano (Post 2120)

It ended in 2009/10.

Oooh, we tried letting it rest. But then the community comes asking for it themselves ;)

Wiggy 05-27-2020 04:07 PM

Can't believe it's back!!

I think a wipe is the best way - it might seem a bit annoying for new players when all the oldschool players come back, plus I forgot my old login.

Fabrice L 05-28-2020 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggy (Post 2124)
Can't believe it's back!!

I think a wipe is the best way - it might seem a bit annoying for new players when all the oldschool players come back, plus I forgot my old login.

Accounts being used now are not the old users Wiggy, they're accounts people created like a year ago

Kuzmin 06-07-2020 12:56 PM

Do the Thanos reset. Halve the xp and halve the amount of items. 10 magic logs halved = 5 magic logs. You have 1 whip, there's a chance it might be gone after the snap.

LOL

Aaron 06-09-2020 11:02 PM

Glad to see the Dodian community still striving :) - I will be around every now and then to check on things !

Knight 06-13-2020 02:08 AM

Absolutely a full reset is necessary.