Thread: Pay to Play?
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019   #1
Nozemi

Default Pay to Play?

I think I have reached a conclusion to the below idea. The conclusion is that I implement this system, and let it sit and chill in the background while we focus on the truly important things. Then at some point in time when we've grown a decent bit, I can enable this. What then will happen, is that any account created after that point in time, will have 24 hours to try the server and then need to pay to continue.

There are still technicalities and details that needs to be figured out. I was thinking $10 as a deposit for the account. Rest of the technicalities will be figured out as I implement and test it.

The whole idea with this is to raise the quality of the community. People are hopefully more willing to follow rules if their money is at stake if they don't.

A few key thoughts I have:
- Don't scare off players before they've even given the server a try.
- Explain in very short words what this system is, so that people won't just see "Pay to play" and leave.
- Make it clear that it is a deposit and not a payment.

Would this change you no-voters into yes-voters?
________

I'm curious what people would think about a pay to play server. I know it sounds bad, but before you make up your mind, please read my proposal and reasons.

First of all; most (or hopefully all) of us hate cheaters. We also hate ban evading, for obvious reasons.

We could also use money to continue the development of the server. If we want to grow, we will absolutely need to throw some money at it.

So my proposal is that everyone gets say a 24 hour period (of actual in game time) that they may use whenever they please. During this trial period, they will have premium privileges, but won't be able to trade. Neither will they be showed on the highscores. They may pay before the period ends, if they decide they like the server.

We could treat this payment as a deposit that will be paid back if you chose to quit playing the server, unless you were banned. Which would also lock your account. To reactivate, you'd have to pay the deposit again.

Multiple website accounts will be against our rules. However, one account can have multiple characters in game. In the future, we'll also be restricting it to two clients per player.

A system like this, in my opinion, would be beneficial for everyone. The server would likely be cleaner, people would be more careful with the rules. In general I believe that such a thing might just improve on just about everything.

Let me know what you think! If you're voting no; please let me know why! If you have thoughts about this system, and how it could be better, please also let me know!

Last edited by Nozemi22; 04-30-2019 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Added conclusion