Thread: Pay to Play?
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019   #17
Nozemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chambe View Post
The whole idea that you deposit money to play, and can get the refund only if you haven't broken any rules is enough for me to vote no. I get that as the owner of a MMO you have all the rights to call every shot, but this system seems to be very abuseable. You say that in a ban, it's often a staff members word against a players word, which is very unreliable. What then makes it reliable enough to withhold someones money?
Holding money would be in cases of someone clearly breaking the rules. With this system in place, we will be able to be very sure about who's who, because very few people will be making multiple accounts to hide their identity (which is the whole point of a system such as this).

To supplement the decision making when it comes to rules, we'll be implementing logs to monitor as much as we can through them.

Let's say someone were caught auto clicking (which is very common), I wouldn't give them a refund if they chose to quit after receiving the punishment. However, at a later point in time, after serving their punishment without making a problem about it, I might consider it.

However, it will mainly be; if you're breaking rules to such an extent that you're permanently banned for being a malicious player; you may not apply to get a refund. What this could be; continuously breaking rules, even after multiple soft to medium punishments.

As I mentioned earlier; this system is quite delicate, so if it's not done right and well thought through; I agree, it's a very big no. But if it's done right, I believe it could benefit both staff and players.

Quote:
Punishment for "ban evading" is a pretty shitty rule anyways. If you cheat on one account, should all your accounts be banned? Debatable. Even if that's the case, should all your future accounts be banned as well? Having just the one account - with two characters connected to it - seems pretty shit as well.
Whether all accounts should be banned or not, depends on the rule being broken. Ban evading is against the rules in any game or community, for obvious reasons. What's the point in banning someone if they can just come back? Yes, you'd have to do progress again. Anyway, the account is just serving as a host for your characters.

Quote:
With this, you'd be restricted to two characters, which seems very.. Well, restricting. Restrictions isn't exactly what draws people to private servers, probably rather the lack thereof.
No, restricting to two characters online at the time. You may create more characters that you can switch between; but you may only be active on two of them at the same time.

What limit we'll put on amount of characters per account, I'm not sure of yet. If we'll even put a limit to it.

Quote:
And yes, 24 hours is a respectable total playtime, but I don't agree with the sentient that everyone would gladly pay for something they've enjoyed for over 24 hours. I'd not.
It's just meant to show you what you'll be paying for. If you're not hooked enough by 24 hours of playing to pay the few dollars required to continue playing, I guess we're doing something wrong, or the server just simply isn't for you.

I'd gladly pay for something I enjoyed, and if I could even apply to get my money back once I felt I was done with it, I'd probably not hesitate.

Quote:
I can probably see this system somewhat working on the surface, but the whole idea seems like a way to halter the players (which you, by the way, have all the rights to do). So in short, it's a big "no" from me on this one as there's other ways to "collect" money which are way healthier for the players freedom to play how they want.
This is not to collect money, but rather incentive to follow the rules while playing. Who cares to lose a few dollars just to break some rules? Which again is the purpose of deposits. If you already paid, know you won't get the money back, and you're tired of playing. Rather than breaking rules, you apply for your money instead. Problem solved! (in theory that is)