Thread: A Guarantee.
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020   #2
Nozemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
I would really appreciate a Dodian that lasts.. I have been playing many of Fabrice's last projects and have always been let down by the poor advertising of the server and overall unwillingness to see it progress.

My questions:
  • Why did the last Dodian, Exorth, etc. fail?
    How can you guarantee a stable playerbase?
    Will you conduct regular updates that address what the community wants to see, this time?

History always seems to repeat it's past, please change my perspective. Thank you!
You've got this all wrong.

1. We simply can't guarantee a stable playerbase.
2. The last remakes failed because it's a community hard to satisfy. Some wants changes, others don't. Changes are introduced, people quit, responsible people discontinue it and cancel the servers (waste of money). The current one has been up and running since around February 2019, so well over a year now.
3. No, we absolutely won't guarantee any regular updates. At least I won't, and the other developer do things whenever he has time. This thing is strictly to provide the nostalgic experience of having a server online for those who wish to play.

There really is no point in advertising. Never was. Everything was too messy to benefit in the slightest from advertisements. Nobody were able to clean up the mess before the thing was discontinued.

Highly unlikely that anyone will put money into advertising the current one as well. There is a very limited interest in Dodian remakes these days. I'm personally just tired of seeing a new one pop up every half year or so because someone won't let it die. So I've taken it upon myself to make sure a remake remains online to avoid this.

In the process I decided that all monetizing of Dodian is removed, at least until we can provide something worth paying for.

If someone wants to see real progress or changes on here, someone needs to provide the funding. The only motivator to develop a Dodian remake these days is for money. The remake itself won't make nearly enough to pay for developers that can make regular updates. However if community wishes, things can be crowd-funded.