View Single Post
Old 03-02-2022   #9
Nozemi
Admin & Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionyx View Post
It is a horrible shame that people keep seeking exploits on a server thats up mostly for nostalgia sake. I've been inactive as of late, seeing as theres no activity for the most part. But when new server/source is up and/or current issues are fixed and life comes back, im right here to continue to enforce fair gameplay
As for maxing myself, i've been holding out till new source release, i def have alot of work to do but yes i totally agree its not very fun being alone in the world lol
I share these opinions, I personally want to play as well, but I'd want a fixed and smoother experience before I do.

Also, people will always try to find and exploit bugs, glitches or otherwise flawed software by any means possible. This is the same anywhere on the internet, no matter the age of the community or product. I guess it is indeed a shame that people do so. At the same time, how much can we blame them, considering how long this dupe has been available. Guess the nicest players would tell us before exploiting it, meanwhile others try to go ham with it and break the economy, then another group of people who (try to) casually abuse it hoping not to get caught.

Point with the previous paragraph being that it's ultimately on the development team (me and Arch), it's we that haven't fixed the server yet, so we automatically have the biggest blame, especially for the current state. However, it would help if all people tried to play fair, but since that won't ever happen, we need to find other means.

---

On another account, I've been doing a lot of development towards a new Dodian using RS Mod v2, and made a fair bit of progress (everything is open source on Dodian's GitHub organization). I will update that whenever I find time to, and sadly it's not easy for anyone without a decent amount of time and programming experience to contribute towards it yet . However, I'll work towards better catering around community contributions (since I've been preaching about them for so long, it would only make sense to at least provide an easy to setup environment the community can mess with).

Additionally I've made the decision to keep everything aside from the (new) website open source and available on GitHub. This is because I don't see any reason for keeping Dodian closed source in 2022... I won't be the person stopping people from attempting to run their own version of Dodian with whatever we have open source.

However, I've recently decided to go all in and try to start my own business, which is A LOT of work. Among other things I've written a planning document of 27 pages, and a pricing calculator to help me find pricing models that are reasonable for me and my potential customers. Additionally it's a lot of work to do the necessary research revolving around the requirements and laws etc with starting/having a company. Despite the amount of time it takes, it's pretty exciting! However, it doesn't leave a whole lot of time to work on Dodian on an average day

That said, when things are more complete/solid in the repository both in terms of smoothness in setting it up locally, without having to read 30 pages of documentation. Some guidelines for peer contributions. Documentation on how to develop content/plugins for the server. I'll create an official announcement, and probably also have a live beta world that isn't anything more than a proof of concept, but it'll at least be that! Then we can hopefully continue to gradually progress towards swapping the old sloth with a new leopard.
Nozemi is offline   Reply With Quote