Dodian Forums

Go Back   Dodian Forums > Site > News and Updates > Dodian Server

View Poll Results: Official Release: Two worlds? Prior and post release?
Yes 8 32.00%
No 15 60.00%
Blank 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2019   #1
Nozemi

Default Road Towards Official Release

I've posted a couple not so organized announcements recently. However, I'm organizing our repositories and adding "issues" along with milestones. These lists are publicly available for everyone.

Beta Server Client Download - Join the testing of the new server! - If you want to, hit me up on Discord, and I might get on along with you and fix things on the fly while you test!

Road to Offical Release
First of all, we're finishing the Dodianifying of the new server, making sure it's working nicely (follow progress here). However, we need to improve on the all around QoL of the project.

I want to make a few changes to the website, as it is currently lacking a lot in terms of QoL.

Server To-Do:
- [Started] Item Bonuses
- [Started] NPC Stats (attack speeds, bonuses, max hits, combat, health etc)
- [Started] NPC Drops
- [Started] Server Core (make sure it's stable and functioning)
- [Completed] Slayer Plugin
- [Completed] Thieving Plugin
- [Not Started] Magic Plugin (combat related)
- [Not Started] Agility Plugin
- [Not Started] Fishing Plugin
- [Not Started] Cooking Plugin
- [Not Started] Firemaking Plugin
- [Not Started] Herblore Plugin
- [Completed] Mining Plugin
- [Not Started] Smithing Plugin
- [Completed] Woodcutting Plugin
- [Not Started] RuneCrafting Plugin
- [Not Started] Fletching Plugin
- [Not Started] Crafting Plugin
- [Completed] Red Key Dungeon Plugin
- [Completed] Orange Key Dungeon Plugin
- [Not Started] Legends Guild Plugin
- [Not Started] Lottery Plugin (a lottery system)
- [Not Started] Drop Party Plugin (utilize party room at Seers)
- [Completed] Shops - Will be replaced with something else soon after release.

Even though this list seems very long and like a lot of work, we've done most of the code already. It's just a matter of converting it to plugins, and adding the Dodian-configs (XP rates, rewards etc).

Website Plans:
- [Not Started] Buying premium from website, and auto-upgrade (currently not working, so is handled manually by Artur)
- [Not Started] Character management system
- [Not Started] Countdown functionality, so we can neatly show when something is happening on the website.
- [Not Started] Highscores - Accounts created after official launch (more details later)

Behind the scene QoL:
We're going to start porting the content into plugins (as most content is already made working on the new server). This plugin system is beneficial because it allows us to make changes without restarting the server.

I've also added commands to reload things like NPC drops, spawns, item bonuses etc without restarting the server.

While this isn't very noticeable for you as a player, it will enable us to make hotfixes more frequently. As restarting the server is inconvenient, that involves relogging, which is no fun for anyone!

Useful Links:
Below are some links that will show the plans we have, that are official. I've started organizing it again, and will try to keep them up to date as we progress.

Main Server (Core):
https://gitlab.nozemi.me/dodian/game...ver/milestones

Plugins:
- Slayer milestones

Will keep this thread updated!
Old 04-10-2019   #2
Cheetah

Awesome can't wait. Good job guys!
Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019   #3
Conscio
Premium

Great . I'm glad to see that progress is being made.
Conscio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019   #4
Nozemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conscio View Post
Great . I'm glad to see that progress is being made.
It's slow, but we're moving forward!
Old 04-11-2019   #5
a retard
Registered Member

Awesome work man, this community lives for estimated arrival dates and progress updates.
a retard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019   #6
Nozemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by a retard View Post
Awesome work man, this community lives for estimated arrival dates and progress updates.
Yeah, I'll be trying to have everything prepared for an official launch by the end of May. No promises though!
Old 04-16-2019   #7
tictac

I personally do not see the point in running the new server with two worlds. Our player base is small enough as is and I think splitting them is completely unnecessary.

I agree that new players will tend to be attracted towards a fresh server but you have to think about the logic behind this idea... in three months time the new server will be just as it is now and you aren't going to perpetually reset the server just to attract new players. I for one would actually love a dodian server to actually stay live for an extended period of time for once haha

The poll is going to be skewed purely on the basis that those newer to the server will be more willing to have a reset compared to those who have put many more hours into this current server like myself.

So I am ultimately biased but I am all for continuing the server as it is.

The only thing I could see that could improve is the economy but this will always be a problem when we are playing on a base designed for hundreds or thousands of players. The economy can also be managed in other ways.

Ultimately I think the decision should be to reset or not (please not ).

I am also just randomly typing this while bored in class so I hope it makes sense haha

Love, Tictac
tictac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019   #8
Nozemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tictac View Post
I personally do not see the point in running the new server with two worlds. Our player base is small enough as is and I think splitting them is completely unnecessary.

I agree that new players will tend to be attracted towards a fresh server but you have to think about the logic behind this idea... in three months time the new server will be just as it is now and you aren't going to perpetually reset the server just to attract new players. I for one would actually love a dodian server to actually stay live for an extended period of time for once haha

The poll is going to be skewed purely on the basis that those newer to the server will be more willing to have a reset compared to those who have put many more hours into this current server like myself.

The only thing I could see that could improve is the economy but this will always be a problem when we are playing on a base designed for hundreds or thousands of players. The economy can also be managed in other ways.

I am also just randomly typing this while bored in class so I hope it makes sense haha

Love, Tictac
Makes lots of sense! I agree on everything. The idea here was (as I stated) not to fix anything, just to do what would seem most correct with an official release. However, we've discussed this a bit further in the administration.

We've more or less decided that we don't go out with such a bang, at least not in terms of saying we're launching officially. Official launch was weeks ago.

That way it doesn't matter. Because as you say; new players will start grinding a fresh server, but to retain the players after they lose the race is what we need to focus on. So regardless of which route we choose, we'll have problems.

I don't think a reset matters in the long term at all. Unless the changes we're doing content-wise, to modernize Dodian, is game-changing (which some of them will be). Some of the ideas we have in mind will make it so you'd maybe want to start from scratch, to experience the new things.

However! With that said; we're also planning on iron mans, which will already more or less solve that. Because no account as of today is an iron man, and will never be.

Either way, we're heading towards exciting time for the history of remakes I believe. I just wanted to throw the idea out to the community for some feedback that hopefully wasn't biased. Unfortunately not many people here care to post their opinions outside of chatting.
Old 04-16-2019   #9
Jabast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tictac View Post

Love, Tictac
I have to agree with tictac on this one, I don't think it'd be a good idea to split up our small player base either. And since we were promised there wouldn't be a reset, I wouldn't like to see staff crawl back and reset anyways.
However I'm also pretty biased since I too have spent a lot of time on the server already.
Jabast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019   #10
Chambe
Registered Member

I've also spent a fair share of hours on the server, but splitting it up would be pretty pointless. A reset would be pretty harsh, no doubt, as there are players closing in on max total etc., but if the gameplay would be pretty different from the current server, I wouldn't really mind.

If, for example, new skills and improved drop tables would be added, the whole meta of playing the game would change (for the better imo). As of now, playing the game is very straight forward. Nothing inherently bad in that, just that it gets a bit repetitive and boring in the long run.
Chambe is offline   Reply With Quote