Dodian Forums

Go Back   Dodian Forums > Site > News and Updates > Site

Old 04-03-2021   #11
Jabast

Quote:
Originally Posted by matokiller5 View Post
I agree with hieko.

Also i would like to discuss one problem i noticed. I feel like most of you should feel the same.

When I go to kill a boss who drops a bis item and it is occupied by another player with better dps, then I have to do something different and I go away and play later. It's happened to me many times and I think it's worth considering and change it a little bit.
I think it would be good idea to add monsters like abyssal demons, that can drop whip like Nechryael. The chances of a drop are smaller and the large number of players can kill them without being scared that someone else take the drop. For example, if I need spined armor, I can only kill Daganoth Prime and it can be occupied non-stop. It could discourage someone like me. Therefore, it would be good to either add another bosses that drops similar items or add small daganoths with a smaller chance to drop same item.

One more thing i would like to mention. When I kill for example kbd, the respawn time is terribly long, I don't want to be 3 minutes afk waiting for him to respawn. It would be reasonable to reduce the timer or place around some dragons that I could kill while the kbd is respawning.

Thanks, and as always let me know what you think about it.
Abyssal demons are already ingame. As for your kbd problem, that's the thing with the boss, you sacrifice the bones, reducing spawn timer would only flood more items into the game. Those timers are there with a reason.
Jabast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021   #12
Nozemi
Admin & Dev

Quote:
I agree with hieko.

Also i would like to discuss one problem i noticed. I feel like most of you should feel the same.

When I go to kill a boss who drops a bis item and it is occupied by another player with better dps, then I have to do something different and I go away and play later. It's happened to me many times and I think it's worth considering and change it a little bit.
I think it would be good idea to add monsters like abyssal demons, that can drop whip like Nechryael. The chances of a drop are smaller and the large number of players can kill them without being scared that someone else take the drop. For example, if I need spined armor, I can only kill Daganoth Prime and it can be occupied non-stop. It could discourage someone like me. Therefore, it would be good to either add another bosses that drops similar items or add small daganoths with a smaller chance to drop same item.

One more thing i would like to mention. When I kill for example kbd, the respawn time is terribly long, I don't want to be 3 minutes afk waiting for him to respawn. It would be reasonable to reduce the timer or place around some dragons that I could kill while the kbd is respawning.

This is a debate we've had many times. We need to consider the bossing situation. Although this is the case for many games. If you aren't strong enough, you won't be able to compete with the other players. Just like on Rust, if I'm not geared good enough and am able to kill the other players, I won't be able to kill Bradley to get it's loot.

Many games solve this particular problem with instancing bosses. However I'm not sure that's the best route to go. We need to think carefully about doing something like that. Enabling everyone on a server to be able to farm a single boss at the same time, or farm the same items at different locations at the same time, can easily flood the economy with these items.

However with the point system I had in mind, I was thinking about buying instance tickets, so you get an instance room with a boss of your choosing. These tickets will be bit pricey though, but at least it would be something to grind towards, other than competing with stronger players.

We can also further improve the importance of supplies, like potions and food. Maybe even add prayer. This gives skilling all the more reason to do, and makes bossing a bit harder. People might camp them less.

Also considering the bossing situation and the kbd situation. I think we should do something about all the boss mechanics and spice up things a little bit. The original Dodian bosses won't be changed much, but they will probably become something more than meat balls with health and some occasional damage.

There is a ton of things to discuss about Dodian, this thread is not the place to discuss all of it. This thread is mainly to discuss the point system and what you would like to see that turn into.
Nozemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021   #13
matokiller5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabast View Post
Abyssal demons are already ingame. As for your kbd problem, that's the thing with the boss, you sacrifice the bones, reducing spawn timer would only flood more items into the game. Those timers are there with a reason.
I mean more monster like abyssal demons. I like that you can kill abyssal demons (to get whip) even if nechryael is occupied. It should be same with other bosses.

"reducing spawn timer would only flood more items into the game."

It wouldnt if you decrease drop-rate. In OSRS you have always like 10 sec respawn time. Or you have something else to do.. (Bandos, Armadyl, Sara, Zamorak, Alchemical hydra, wilderness bosses etc.)
matokiller5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021   #14
matokiller5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozemi View Post
This is a debate we've had many times. We need to consider the bossing situation. Although this is the case for many games. If you aren't strong enough, you won't be able to compete with the other players. Just like on Rust, if I'm not geared good enough and am able to kill the other players, I won't be able to kill Bradley to get it's loot.

Many games solve this particular problem with instancing bosses. However I'm not sure that's the best route to go. We need to think carefully about doing something like that. Enabling everyone on a server to be able to farm a single boss at the same time, or farm the same items at different locations at the same time, can easily flood the economy with these items.

However with the point system I had in mind, I was thinking about buying instance tickets, so you get an instance room with a boss of your choosing. These tickets will be bit pricey though, but at least it would be something to grind towards, other than competing with stronger players.

We can also further improve the importance of supplies, like potions and food. Maybe even add prayer. This gives skilling all the more reason to do, and makes bossing a bit harder. People might camp them less.

Also considering the bossing situation and the kbd situation. I think we should do something about all the boss mechanics and spice up things a little bit. The original Dodian bosses won't be changed much, but they will probably become something more than meat balls with health and some occasional damage.

There is a ton of things to discuss about Dodian, this thread is not the place to discuss all of it. This thread is mainly to discuss the point system and what you would like to see that turn into.
I didnt thought about instance room. It would solve everything. So i already changed my mind i think point system and buying instance tickets is great idea.
Old 04-03-2021   #15
Nozemi
Admin & Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieko View Post
I feel now is a chance for the community to reset and rebuild, we used to be so active and so involved and i understand weve all grown up and have lives now but theres pretty much no forum activity and all we see is discord mostly. A clean new base would be a great start to get things rolling as well. I do like the idea of an OSRS base since it has more upward potential in growing vs the current base.
I have some plans for Dodian, and would only consider a full reset when Dodian has matured substantially. Just launching a new server base with the same old content, same old drop rates would be futile. We'd be back to the current situation in no time.

Also not to mention we've been promising for two years not to reset anyone, at least not forcefully. All we can do for now is incentivize people to reset themselves, by giving them something worthwhile to do it for.

However if we increase the difficulty of things a bit, by doing things as losing items on death etc, it would probably less necessary to do any resets. Also should introduce iron man modes to Dodian.

The conclusion about no forceful resets will stick. In the future when (or even if) Dodian is substantially changed, we can maybe revisit the topic of a reset. Hopefully by then it's not relevant anymore though.
Nozemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021   #16
BAJF
Registered Member

Quote:
I agree with hieko.

I'm sorry, Mato. I disagree completely with you here. The bosses have always been about competition and I think that shouldn't change. More potential rare drops would even destabilize the server further. I'd even go as far as saying the drop rates are too high considering the small community. Rares have become commons. Take yourself, you've gotten multiple whips. Would grinding even more actually benefit the server?
BAJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021   #17
matokiller5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJF View Post
I'm sorry, Mato. I disagree completely with you here. The bosses have always been about competition and I think that shouldn't change. More potential rare drops would even destabilize the server further. I'd even go as far as saying the drop rates are too high considering the small community. Rares have become commons. Take yourself, you've gotten multiple whips. Would grinding even more actually benefit the server?

You got absolutely right and i agree with you in every sentence. But i think you dont quite understand what i want to change. I dont want to ruin economy and i want keep that competition about killing jad and getting red key as it is. Ill try to explain on example here:
The only thing i need is dragon boots. So i have to kill the only boss that drops d boots (KBD). But at the moment 1 player is killing KBD and 3 players are on wait list to kill him and they have higher DPS because they already got boots. What shoud i do? I have to wait.
So the solution that has been mentioned is instance rooms but it would kill the competition about item. We should add monsters like Mithril dragons that drop dboots, and at the same time decrease drop-rate. So for example if i have 1/100 chance to get Dboots from KBD, I would add Mithril dragons that drop d boots with chance of 1:5000 and also decrease droprate from kbd to 1:200 and it should keep economy in same shape. (didnt calculate it but its just example). So now i see KBD is occupied, i can kill Mithril dragons. Hope you know what i mean. And thanks for your reply.

''I'd even go as far as saying the drop rates are too high considering the small community.''

Yes, thats why i feel like droprates shoud be decreases on new server and eco should be restarted. First we need droplist with well thought out numbers, because its to late to change something once server is online.
Old 04-03-2021   #18
Pro Noob
Developer

Quote:
You got absolutely right and i agree with you in every sentence. But i think you dont quite understand what i want to change. I dont want to ruin economy and i want keep that competition about killing jad and getting red key as it is. Ill try to explain on example here:
The only thing i need is dragon boots. So i have to kill the only boss that drops d boots (KBD). But at the moment 1 player is killing KBD and 3 players are on wait list to kill him and they have higher DPS because they already got boots. What shoud i do? I have to wait.
So the solution that has been mentioned is instance rooms but it would kill the competition about item. We should add monsters like Mithril dragons that drop dboots, and at the same time decrease drop-rate. So for example if i have 1/100 chance to get Dboots from KBD, I would add Mithril dragons that drop d boots with chance of 1:5000 and also decrease droprate from kbd to 1:200 and it should keep economy in same shape. (didnt calculate it but its just example). So now i see KBD is occupied, i can kill Mithril dragons. Hope you know what i mean. And thanks for your reply.

''I'd even go as far as saying the drop rates are too high considering the small community.''

Yes, thats why i feel like droprates shoud be decreases on new server and eco should be restarted. First we need droplist with well thought out numbers, because its to late to change something once server is online.
Good reason why it is not easy to add a new boss into the game.

As to reduce time on bosses (from your old post), I would like to do it. However as of right now there is no real mechanic to boses to lower their spawn rate.
If we add some sort of challenge / mechanic, then we can start reduce spawn timer.

Last edited by Pro Noob; 04-03-2021 at 02:16 PM.
Pro Noob is online now   Reply With Quote