Dodian Forums

Go Back   Dodian Forums > Dodian Server > Server Bugs

Old 08-22-2022   #1
Adamtw
Registered Member

Default Server bug?

Hi there, just wanted to bring it to attention that there are currently a few server bugs going on. Some of them are:
- Invisibility glitch. At random times players just go invisible completely. you can still see mobs getting attacked and speech in chat but not overhead. You can receive a trade offer from them but if you click on the trade, it says unable to find player.
- One of my friends is having an issue whereby his head & feet keep disappearing and his body sways like a drunk emote.
- His name also changes from its real name to a random generated one.
- Earlier at abyssal guardian, he killed a few battle mages and whilst killing the south-east one, when he received drops (1x zamorak cape and some rune essence on different kills) they also appeared for me even though he picked them up. Not a game breaking (and certainly not intentional) dupe but something to look into maybe.
- Lastly, and probably just real bad luck here but is there an issue with the red key drop? As I understand it from the examine drop pop-up, the average rate is 7 in 1000 (i.e. approx 1 in 140). I'm now 2.5x the drop rate (65 Dad kills, 290 Abyssal Guardian kills), my friend has 100 Dad kills and my brother has 50 Dad kills. None of us have received one (collectively 4x the drop rate). We've been killing them for 3 days straight now and considering the above glitches I was curious as to whether there was a correlation. Wishful thinking perhaps on the last one but trying to console myself for potentially bad rng. As a returning player, I just want to get involved in the content and after 6hrs+ today alone killing 1 early-game mob, the pacing feels a little off (unless there is an issue). Rngesus not on my side here.

Last edited by Adamtw; 08-22-2022 at 04:18 PM.
Adamtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022   #2
Pro Noob
Developer

Due to how old dodian is, whenever the server lags these things occur. It is due to how packet handling is not the greatest.
If you do not what packets are, it is all from you picking up a item, to a global item show up on the screen.
In your case these items was visually duped on your screen and if you had attempted to pick them up the server would not believe these were real.

Whenever these occur, we need to restart the server. I try to restart server once a month, sometimes we have to do it once every other week depends on issues that have occur.
If you are wondering, yes these issues to fix either take time or hard to reproduce. Which makes it hard to go in and just fix them.

As how random number generator (rng) works it is all based on luck. If you go 1k kills on a item that is 1:140 then you are quite unlucky and there is nothing more to it.

Last edited by Pro Noob; 08-23-2022 at 12:32 AM.
Pro Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022   #3
Adamtw
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. Can you please advise me of the drop rate of the red key from both Dad and Abyssal Guardian as I actually notice that the examine box varies on every click. I spent a total of 8+hrs solely killing guardian yesterday and 6+ hrs solely killing Dad today. Whilst I understand that rng is rng, I can't help but think that if the server was in a position in which there was an active population playing (hopefully in the future) then this rate is far too low considering such a significant amount of content is locked behind it, and that this is just the first step on the ladder to end game.
I personally am on 550kc and collectively with my friends are over 800kc, all dry. Now whilst I also understand that there are others who have potentially gone 'dryer' I do think that the when considering the above mentioned point as well as the below, this is enough to perturb returning and prospective new players of a 'faster paced' RSPS (which Dodian positions itself from an xp perspective).
Bearing in mind at this moment in time there are no other players actively killing Dad/Guardian, when there is such a time that others are, this will mean that it'll take even longer to reach these seriously low drop rates due to the sharing of kills with competing players. This will lead to an increased amount of time newer players being locked behind this content wall , away from the mid-late tier content (let's be reasonable, Dad and Guardian are beginner content and spending 4-5 days killing just 1 thing over and over doesn't provoke much enthusiasm). In order to keep engagement and essentially proceed throughout the game, with reasonable pacing, things like having access to mobs which actually offer an alternative to rune weapons/armour (dragon essentially) break up the monotony of killing the same mob, with the same equipment for multiple days/weeks on end. At this rate the average player is looking to hit 3x 90 stats whilst still milling around with full rune and a rune scimmy at best.
All of the above in conjunction with there being no active trading market provides no means of progressing beyond this hypothetical ceiling unless you are to be gifted such items from existing players who have no use for them. Which is a rather unrewarding way of playing (albeit a friendly gesture from the community).

Apologies if this is coming across as a rant. I more so mean it as a suggestion in order to aid future player retention to enable an active player base, with a genuine feeling of progression within the game, and being able to access the features the server has to offer. As a returning player of many, many iterations of Dodian, I ultimately want to see the game thrive.
I appreciate any feedback/thoughts here.
Adamtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022   #4
Bubble
Registered Member

ya just unlucky mate. I've gotten plenty of red keys before 100 kc. Like a lot tbh. I even got a 1 kc red key on here about a year ago.
Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022   #5
Pro Noob
Developer

This discussion is nothing new. The reason we do not reveal the drop rate in % is due to people's take on rng. If a item is 10% and they have gone 50 kills dry, they will become aggitated. As to your problem, we could implement stuff to manipulate the rate. However this would technically not be rng and would be hard to balance.

About the examine feature, since it is all rng it will only give you an idea if you were to kill X monster 1000 times these are the things you could expect. And due to using our rng system, it will always be different each time you examine.

If you wish to see how the drop list work as, can check this.
If not this is how we determ the rate on the droplist
Spoiler for rate:

100% (10000:10000) - Always
>= 60% < 100% - Very common
>= 25% < 60% - Common
>= 5% < 25% - less common
>= 1% < 5% - rare
>= 0.1% < 1% - very rare
< 0.1% - Extremely rare

Last edited by Pro Noob; 08-26-2022 at 08:34 AM.
Pro Noob is offline   Reply With Quote