Dodian Forums

Go Back   Dodian Forums > Dodian Server > Discussion

Old 11-19-2019   #1
Vegeta

Default Server Growth

Hello,

As I’m relatively new to this server but not to dodian as a whole. I played so much in 2007-2009 and was one of the top players back then but that doesn’t matter at all.

I’ve noticed just looking around and chatting with others that currently there is no advertising or attempt to grow the server and when asked someone answer was its only for the “Dorian elites”... that doesn’t sound like a great answer lol. I am not sure exactly how long it has been back but I was bored at work and thought “I wonder if they ever remade Dodian” then googled and lead me here. Which getting the client to work was its own hassle In itself. Dodian is one of my favorite servers to play on but when I found out that pking was disabled it was a little disheartening. I understand you need a population to pk anyways so that wasn’t my main concern but you do need to have it in the server to grow. Level 3 mystic fighting was so much fun. I also found out that you can not duel unless you’re 99 hp so no level 3 boxing. Now all these come when the server is much more active but these are just my thoughts.

My question is why hasn’t there been any attempts to grow the server? Also the “ vote for us” doesn’t work at all.

From what I’ve read I understand this is a small project and I don’t expect a thousand players to play this but if more people like myself found out it exists I don’t see why we couldn’t have 50-100 active people on the server which would dramatically change how the server functions. With more resources being easily obtained and maybe a handful of people that enjoy dueling and pking it would bring more life to the server.

I’d love some insight on the topic above as well as if there are currently any plans in the future for the server.

Please excuse any format or grammar mistakes as I’m posting on mobile.
Vegeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019   #2
Psionyx

You don't need lvl 99hp to duel.. both players need to be at FULL HEALTH to duel, not max health in terms of skill.
Psionyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019   #3
Miami Flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionyx View Post
You don't need lvl 99hp to duel.. both players need to be at FULL HEALTH to duel, not max health in terms of skill.
I’ve also never got it to work with anyone, even when both of our healths were clearly full. So I’m not sure the issue then and I know a few others had the problem too.
Miami Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019   #4
Psionyx

I just tested dueling rn with my skiller with 10hp and main with 99hp and it's working correctly.
Psionyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019   #5
Nozemi

This is probably the 10th time (or more) Dodian have been remade. What you're suggesting simply isn't sustainable, and have been attempted at least 9 times before.

I personally took a step back from running the project, so now I'm just making sure it's online. That was my promise, to keep the server online. Which it have been since February.

When it comes to advertisement, this is a piece of shit server, with a shit load of problems and outdated code. Seriously doubt a lot of people would want to play this. Someone even previously took the Dodian mail list and sent everyone an email, without much luck.

Problem is usually that the server is sustainable for a couple weeks, then activity will start dropping.

It's no secret that the content design is poor and could use an extreme overhaul. This was a server made for 2005-2009, which worked well, as the demand for quality was a lot lower than now. The server design worked as well, because there was enough players to sustain the economy. Always new players coming in, and always older players who had items available for sale.

So this is currently just being hosted so people like yourself can relive the Dodian days without any worries of it being shut down (unless for legal reasons, which probably won't ever happen).
Old 11-19-2019   #6
Hunter L

to be honest I enjoy having like 10 total dodian fan players online to play with, where bosses are not crowded and general gains are a bit easier. sure itd be nice to have like 50 players online or even more like in the glory days. but its also a treasure to have a safe haven and a place to come to relive some childhood memories again.
Hunter L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019   #7
Fabrice L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter L View Post
to be honest I enjoy having like 10 total dodian fan players online to play with, where bosses are not crowded and general gains are a bit easier. sure itd be nice to have like 50 players online or even more like in the glory days. but its also a treasure to have a safe haven and a place to come to relive some childhood memories again.
This is exactly why Nozemi and me are doing our best to keep Dodian running, to preserve the memories.

Maybe on a later date something will be built for Dodian, but you can be sure the legacy server will stay as it is and accessible to you all!
Fabrice L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019   #8
Ghosty

I don't believe 50-100 players would be an attainable goal for a Dodian server in current times. Maybe I'm wrong though because I haven't been in the RSPS scene in years. It would need to be updated considerably, advertised considerably, and that takes a certain vision that I'm not sure Dodian as a base could provide on its own. The only way I could see something like that happening is if someone undertook a big project that took inspiration from Dodian but did not use it as a base. To keep an active playerbase as of current would probably require countless restarts if it's Dodian, and I think it's a better idea to preserve this server as a small hub for those who enjoy what remains of it. Of course, the ideal scenario would be someone undertaking a cool project with Dodian roots, but that's easier said than done. Not getting my hopes up any time soon based on the atmosphere around here, but that's fine with me personally.
Ghosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019   #9
Nozemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
I don't believe 50-100 players would be an attainable goal for a Dodian server in current times. Maybe I'm wrong though because I haven't been in the RSPS scene in years.
Sounds pretty accurate to me. At peak we can reach about 50 players tops, if we have a clean launch and notice ahead of time. Then it quickly starts dropping after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
Of course, the ideal scenario would be someone undertaking a cool project with Dodian roots, but that's easier said than done. Not getting my hopes up any time soon based on the atmosphere around here, but that's fine with me personally.
That is my plan, but due to my real life situation I haven't been able to get enough done. Though I have started piecing together a website and a server etc. http://site.beta.eldrios.com/ is the website so far.

I was playing with the thought of meeting myself in the middle and recreate Dodian's content on that same source, so I can use Dodian as a "testing platform" for my software and then later use that software for Eldrios.

Whether this will happen in the next month or years I have no idea. There is a will to do something, but I don't currently have the means. I won't make any promises.

____

The intention of the current Dodian is to keep it pure, so no one feels exploited for the same server the 20th time. Hence everything being free to play, and pretty much flat out rejected any way of monetizing Dodian. No matter if it was cosmetics or perks. The current iteration of a Dodian remake doesn't really deserve to get any funding. Though if someone wanted to pay for ads, I wouldn't be stopping them from doing that, but I would sure as hell not recommend putting money towards that
Old 11-22-2019   #10
Miami Flow

I see what everyone is saying , even at the levels it’s at I know there’s probably more people that would play than you guys are giving credit for maybe not 100 but a solid 20-30 people. I don’t think there should be paid advertising but a forum post here and there would be more than enough. Maybe I’ll try that myself. I appreciate the effort you’ve put it to run it so far, having a lot of fun playing something that I loved 12-13 years ago and if no one more comes to play at least I can enjoy it as of right now.
Miami Flow is offline   Reply With Quote