Dodian Forums

Go Back   Dodian Forums > Site > News and Updates > Site

Old 08-04-2023   #1
Nozemi
Admin & Dev

Default Dodian.com is Back! What now!?

Hello, Dodianers!

I'm sure a lot of you are now curious to see where things are heading now that there is both a Dodian here and over at https://dodian.com/. So are we if I'm being honest.

First of all, we (the Dodian.net staff team) will not try to compete with .com and their project. We'll do what we can to continue our mission of keeping things up and running, and try to arrange for things to be a partnership between the two - this to whatever extent is appropriate and makes sense.

I know that's a bit vague - but we wish to see successful Dodian servers as much as the next guy is probably the short of it.

Sharing Discord?

Referring to this post from Plasma, as well as talk about it in the community - on various platform.

We've discussed it about internally. I've also talked to Plasma about it a little. The conclusion we reached, is that we don't see a way to set that up in a way that makes sense and is beneficial for either of the projects.

With .net and .com having different administrations (obviously!), it would most likely lead to more confusion and effort than it would reward.

With that said - we won't have or enforce any rules about discussing .com or events at .com anywhere on .net - be it in game or in the Discord server.

Partnership & Future

It's quite early to say much about it at the moment, and Plasma and I have not decided or talked about a lot of things - yet anyway.

My hope however, is that we try to avoid as much overhead as possible, to the benefit of both .net and .com. Meaning if we could find a way to share codebases, it'd mean more developers share the amount of work required. For me that would mean a lot less on my plate, and potentially helps with more things actually getting done.

Right now, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, it's an overwhelming amount of work to be done. This results in me most of the time being a bit all over the place, or no place at all - and rather work on other things than Dodian.

Community Input

Community input on the matter is greatly appreciated. Let us (both teams) know what you think.

I'm personally, at this time at least, especially interested in what the community thinks in regard to partnership/resource sharing (such as Discord server), and how to best execute that.

But any input leading to both teams being able to cooperate as much as possible, is greatly appreciated!
Nozemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023   #2
Iburn
Registered Member

Merging could be nice, if all the years of work weren't done in vein (no resets). Whichever option would be cheapest to run while maintaining community option to update the code to be put into live would be nice
Iburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023   #3
Nozemi
Admin & Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iburn View Post
Merging could be nice, if all the years of work weren't done in vein (no resets). Whichever option would be cheapest to run while maintaining community option to update the code to be put into live would be nice
For merging to be a possibility, there are quite a few things that needs to happen. But this also depends on what extent you see a merger happen.

It's gonna be a bit more complicated, considering we're two different administrations. I'm not sure if our visions align (yet).

It would also mean that a fair amount of effort needs to be put in from each member of the team. Which puts more weight on our shoulders, which ultimately might cause disagreements, and stir up drama, and then lead to a stand-still.

But feel free to elaborate on it, and propose something more concrete, in a little more detail!
Old 08-06-2023   #4
Surface
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozemi View Post
For merging to be a possibility, there are quite a few things that needs to happen. But this also depends on what extent you see a merger happen.

It's gonna be a bit more complicated, considering we're two different administrations. I'm not sure if our visions align (yet).

It would also mean that a fair amount of effort needs to be put in from each member of the team. Which puts more weight on our shoulders, which ultimately might cause disagreements, and stir up drama, and then lead to a stand-still.

But feel free to elaborate on it, and propose something more concrete, in a little more detail!
You can discuss selling this altogether to .com so we only have one community. No point in two separate administrations considering the playerbase is low to begin with and .com will have better outreach.
Surface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023   #5
Renegade
Registered Member

I agree, sell it to .com
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023   #6
Iburn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surface View Post
You can discuss selling this altogether to .com so we only have one community. No point in two separate administrations considering the playerbase is low to begin with and .com will have better outreach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
I agree, sell it to .com
Why sell? This one has been running for years. Staff in place has proven not to be corrupt or money hungry. Just a place to log in and play Dodian. If anything I'd say make .net the main. Am curious how much and frequent work will be done on it

Last edited by Iburn; 08-06-2023 at 09:41 AM.
Iburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023   #7
Nozemi
Admin & Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surface View Post
Weird take. It's not mine to sell either fwiw.

.com won't have better outreach, at best it will be equal. At least for a while, because of SEO and Google-ranking.

Besides, it's not about the amount of players. It's about ensuring the community has a place to come if something were to happen with the alternatives.

With that said, I genuinely hope .com succeeds. I have no reason to doubt Plasma's intentions with it at this point. But at the same time, if we've learned anything over the years - expect the unexpected and try to be prepared.
Old 08-06-2023   #8
Plasma
Registered Member

Quote:

.com won't have better outreach, at best it will be equal. At least for a while, because of SEO and Google-ranking.

Besides, it's not about the amount of players. It's about ensuring the community has a place to come if something were to happen with the alternatives.

With that said, I genuinely hope .com succeeds. I have no reason to doubt Plasma's intentions with it at this point. But at the same time, if we've learned anything over the years - expect the unexpected and try to be prepared.

dun dun dunn!!
Plasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023   #9
Surface
Registered Member

Quote:

Plasma has proven to run successful launches in the past, and I agree he has the right intentions (restore the community and run a successful product). By keeping .net online this is essentially competing with .com (inadvertently). I know that Fabrice is the one that owns the domain, but I think it's a worth conversation to have about truly what is best for the entire community. I give you and Fab credit for keeping this alive as long as you have when you didn't have to.
Surface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023   #10
Renegade
Registered Member

I give credit too. They did a good job. I don't view this site as competition as much as I do a distraction. It's good to have multiple avenues of play types and servers. However, Plasma is providing that with a variety of worlds. .net can cause some confusion

I don't see .com going down hill. I see it prospering in ways soon that .net was unable to. Im not saying .net is inadequate, just saying real life can get in the ways of the attention a community needs to grow.

I don't want, nor see, competition between the 2. I do think it's best that the communities find a way to merge, with Plasma at the helm controlling everything the way he currently is
I only see that happening in a meaningful way via a sell
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote