Dodian Forums

Go Back   Dodian Forums > Dodian Community > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2020   #1
Knight

Lightbulb A Guarantee.

I would really appreciate a Dodian that lasts.. I have been playing many of Fabrice's last projects and have always been let down by the poor advertising of the server and overall unwillingness to see it progress.

My questions:
  • Why did the last Dodian, Exorth, etc. fail?
    How can you guarantee a stable playerbase?
    Will you conduct regular updates that address what the community wants to see, this time?

History always seems to repeat it's past, please change my perspective. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2020   #2
Nozemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
I would really appreciate a Dodian that lasts.. I have been playing many of Fabrice's last projects and have always been let down by the poor advertising of the server and overall unwillingness to see it progress.

My questions:
  • Why did the last Dodian, Exorth, etc. fail?
    How can you guarantee a stable playerbase?
    Will you conduct regular updates that address what the community wants to see, this time?

History always seems to repeat it's past, please change my perspective. Thank you!
You've got this all wrong.

1. We simply can't guarantee a stable playerbase.
2. The last remakes failed because it's a community hard to satisfy. Some wants changes, others don't. Changes are introduced, people quit, responsible people discontinue it and cancel the servers (waste of money). The current one has been up and running since around February 2019, so well over a year now.
3. No, we absolutely won't guarantee any regular updates. At least I won't, and the other developer do things whenever he has time. This thing is strictly to provide the nostalgic experience of having a server online for those who wish to play.

There really is no point in advertising. Never was. Everything was too messy to benefit in the slightest from advertisements. Nobody were able to clean up the mess before the thing was discontinued.

Highly unlikely that anyone will put money into advertising the current one as well. There is a very limited interest in Dodian remakes these days. I'm personally just tired of seeing a new one pop up every half year or so because someone won't let it die. So I've taken it upon myself to make sure a remake remains online to avoid this.

In the process I decided that all monetizing of Dodian is removed, at least until we can provide something worth paying for.

If someone wants to see real progress or changes on here, someone needs to provide the funding. The only motivator to develop a Dodian remake these days is for money. The remake itself won't make nearly enough to pay for developers that can make regular updates. However if community wishes, things can be crowd-funded.

Old 06-14-2020   #3
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozemi View Post
You've got this all wrong.

1. We simply can't guarantee a stable playerbase.
2. The last remakes failed because it's a community hard to satisfy. Some wants changes, others don't. Changes are introduced, people quit, responsible people discontinue it and cancel the servers (waste of money). The current one has been up and running since around February 2019, so well over a year now.
3. No, we absolutely won't guarantee any regular updates. At least I won't, and the other developer do things whenever he has time. This thing is strictly to provide the nostalgic experience of having a server online for those who wish to play.

There really is no point in advertising. Never was. Everything was too messy to benefit in the slightest from advertisements. Nobody were able to clean up the mess before the thing was discontinued.

Highly unlikely that anyone will put money into advertising the current one as well. There is a very limited interest in Dodian remakes these days. I'm personally just tired of seeing a new one pop up every half year or so because someone won't let it die. So I've taken it upon myself to make sure a remake remains online to avoid this.

In the process I decided that all monetizing of Dodian is removed, at least until we can provide something worth paying for.

If someone wants to see real progress or changes on here, someone needs to provide the funding. The only motivator to develop a Dodian remake these days is for money. The remake itself won't make nearly enough to pay for developers that can make regular updates. However if community wishes, things can be crowd-funded.
I've got it wrong?

I think not. I've been playing since Fab made his #298 and I was one of the only players playing for months on end, no one seemed to care to see the game progress. Constant bugs, no advertisements, etc. YET, the donations received from many of your projects has gone toward NOTHING but the host. No one ever seemed to care to see Dodian continue.

Now we are in 2020 and you want to bring back the past, but with a strict "nostalgic" approach. That's awful and it will be a repeat of the history of any remake of Dodian.

It's sad you few own the domains to these names and want to build something from it. I'm sorry, but you should not be remaking something if you plan to ruin everything in the blink of an eye each time you decide you want to quit!

Awful management and quite frankly pathetic!
Old 06-14-2020   #4
Nozemi

Quote:
I've got it wrong?

I think not. I've been playing since Fab made his #298 and I was one of the only players playing for months on end, no one seemed to care to see the game progress. Constant bugs, no advertisements, etc. YET, the donations received from many of your projects has gone toward NOTHING but the host. No one ever seemed to care to see Dodian continue.

Now we are in 2020 and you want to bring back the past, but with a strict "nostalgic" approach. That's awful and it will be a repeat of the history of any remake of Dodian.

It's sad you few own the domains to these names and want to build something from it. I'm sorry, but you should not be remaking something if you plan to ruin everything in the blink of an eye each time you decide you want to quit!

Awful management and quite frankly pathetic!
Alright man. You seem to have it all figured out. Go make your own remake

Old 06-14-2020   #5
Knight

Quote:
Alright man. You seem to have it all figured out. Go make your own remake
Typical response.

I and many others only want to see this success and you want to shutdown any approach to a successful Dodian remake. You blame us' for your failures and want us to figure it out on our own.

I've watched you Nozemi attempt this for years and you never produce a single successful remake. You are the wrong person for management clearly and with these responses they show your true intentions.
Old 06-14-2020   #6
Surface
Registered Member

Interesting.
Old 06-15-2020   #7
Eikenboom

Maybe you shouldn't nag and read the forums.
There are no donations now, it is no longer a P2W server.

We are working on a new stable OSRS version!
And instead of asking for guarantees, make sure you become part of the project. Like most do here, by helping to write, collect data and suggest ideas that could potentially be used!

And as far as you shout about advertisements, there should first be a stable server, and a nice fun community!
If the community wants advertisements to be published, the community will also have to pay for this.

I personally think it is great that people make their domain and server available to run this version!

So take care of your own guarantee and make sure you become part of the remake!
Old 06-15-2020   #8
Nozemi

Quote:
Typical response.

I and many others only want to see this success and you want to shutdown any approach to a successful Dodian remake. You blame us' for your failures and want us to figure it out on our own.

I've watched you Nozemi attempt this for years and you never produce a single successful remake. You are the wrong person for management clearly and with these responses they show your true intentions.
Already stated my intentions multiple times. I only put this up so people can play it, rather than having someone put up a new equally bad remake time and time again.

Ivan is behind the wheel, I don't do anything anymore. Only reason I'm admin on site atm was because I had to check something that required admin access in game.

Don't think it's any point in you and I discussing anything. Doubt we'll ever meet any kind of understanding from either side. So if you're so unhappy about what's going on here, my suggestion is to start your own thing somewhere else.

This is the last professional thing I did for Dodian:
https://dodian.net/showthread.php?t=374

Old 06-15-2020   #9
Knight

Quote:
Already stated my intentions multiple times. I only put this up so people can play it, rather than having someone put up a new equally bad remake time and time again.

Ivan is behind the wheel, I don't do anything anymore. Only reason I'm admin on site atm was because I had to check something that required admin access in game.

Don't think it's any point in you and I discussing anything. Doubt we'll ever meet any kind of understanding from either side. So if you're so unhappy about what's going on here, my suggestion is to start your own thing somewhere else.

This is the last professional thing I did for Dodian:
https://dodian.net/showthread.php?t=374
Stop telling me to 'just make a remake yourself' as if that justifies ANYTHING?

How awful are you that stating this is the only solution to my issue here? You are such a disgrace to the name Dodian! If you think a player wanting to see a successful Dodian, that asked very minor questions, should be treated as such than you need to leave! This is the problem Dodian has had for years.

If Ivan wants to see a successful nostalgic remake than he needs to follow the correct path at finding the core issues on why Dodian Remakes have failed since the dawn of Dodian. No one has successfully remade a Dodian that lasts and that's all I care about.

I do not need to recreate my own Dodian server to prove a point!

Disgraceful!
Old 06-16-2020   #10
junkbot
Premium

Quote:
You know that quote that is attributed to Ghandi but was not actually said?

"Be the change you want to see in the world."

Although it's not a quote let's take it and use it in your case.
  1. Don't like how it ended?
  2. Don't like that there is no guarantee?
  3. Want to see regular updates?

Do the work yourself. The source code is all online.
Can't do the work yourself? Pay the developers to do it, or get the sources to pay another developer to do it.

I agree there is always time for criticism, but you've yet to give any in this thread. All you've done is complain. Even before anything can be done, there are bugs that need to be fixed. They will be fixed sometimes in the future with the new server, if it is finished. The thing is, it's people like you shitting on others that demotivates them to do any of the work. People play today and continue to play because it's something that's playable and it's okay the way it is for now. So what if it uses the Dodian name? It uses it for anyone who still wants to come back and remind themselves of what Dodian used to be. It's not trying to be a successful server and the best out there.

No one in this thread was pathetic or disgraceful. You're the one who acted like a dumbass when everyone else responded normally and truthfully.

---

Why not come here instead and say you want to see this succeed and want to support those running the server so that it can succeed? Talk to Ivan and see what he needs, to talk to Nozemi and see what he needs, see what the server needs and offer up the cash to make it succeed. Don't just complain.

Last edited by junkbot; 06-16-2020 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Added part after the divider...
Closed Thread