Dodian Forums

Go Back   Dodian Forums > Dodian Community > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2022   #1
Iamgod
Registered Member

Exclamation Enable trading and selling to the store!!

It's been so long. What i've seen during this time is that the server has pretty much died out because people are not able to sell and trade each other.

Why must the server sit at 0 players online? Please do something..
Iamgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022   #2
Nozemi
Admin & Dev

Already been over this. Sadly not much I can do, other than developing a new server, which I'm doing on and off.
Nozemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022   #3
Iamgod
Registered Member

:/ That sucks man. Dodian in my opinion is the best rsps that has ever existed. Shame to see it in a state that it is in currently.
Iamgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022   #4
Thunder
Registered Member

Message edited because it was unnecessary.

Last edited by Thunder; 05-18-2022 at 01:56 AM.
Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022   #5
Nozemi
Admin & Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamgod View Post
:/ That sucks man. Dodian in my opinion is the best rsps that has ever existed. Shame to see it in a state that it is in currently.
I fully agree with you, it is a damn shame for sure! However, I when I looked at the trading dupe issue, I tried to patch it up. However it seems the real fix would involve substantial rewrite of the server. Maybe entirety of trading needs a rewrite.

I know in the past there has been similar trading dupes that have been patched, yet new one pops up. I'm not personally dedicating any time patching up this old server. With whatever time I have to dedicate to RSPS, I'll dedicate it to a replacement server that (when/if done) would give Dodian a much better long term solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
Bro they gave up on this server years ago. Server is ass anyway go play Xeros. That shits actually fun and the devs actually care.
Not sure I'd say I've given up on Dodian, it just takes quite a bit of work, and I don't exactly get paid to do this, and I don't want to or expect to get paid to do this either. However, as a result, I have other things I need to attend to in my daily life as well.

Also there aren't exactly a long line of people offering their development knowledge to improve Dodian in any way. So as bad as it is, I'm what you've got. Arch has offered his hand though, but I don't think he has nearly enough time to be writing a new server to replace the current one. It's more like he'll have time to fix some bugs here and there, and add some smaller additions when he has time.

I've long been pursuing this being a community-driven thing for the sake of nostalgia. Instead of this repeating cycle of "wanna-be-professional" shit-fest that keeps going. Ideally everyone would have free access to everything from hosting providers to databases to codebases and what not, and everyone effectively being admins. But let's be real, that's not feasible. However, I'm willing to be quite flexible with anyone offering their hand to help Dodian progress. I've talked to people before, but most people seem to want to take a path that leads away from Dodian, while that is cool and all, that still isn't Dodian and we can't replace Dodian with that.

However, from time to time I am actually working towards getting Dodian what it needs, but like I've said a ton of times already, it's a lot of work. It's definitely taking a lot longer than I (and anyone else as well) have hoped for, but considering I'm a perfectionist, and I'm aiming for top quality (OSRS level quality standard), it'll help Dodian get a foundation to build on the day that is done.
Old 02-16-2022   #6
Fabrice L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozemi View Post
I fully agree with you, it is a damn shame for sure! However, I when I looked at the trading dupe issue, I tried to patch it up. However it seems the real fix would involve substantial rewrite of the server. Maybe entirety of trading needs a rewrite.

I know in the past there has been similar trading dupes that have been patched, yet new one pops up. I'm not personally dedicating any time patching up this old server. With whatever time I have to dedicate to RSPS, I'll dedicate it to a replacement server that (when/if done) would give Dodian a much better long term solution.

Not sure I'd say I've given up on Dodian, it just takes quite a bit of work, and I don't exactly get paid to do this, and I don't want to or expect to get paid to do this either. However, as a result, I have other things I need to attend to in my daily life as well.

Also there aren't exactly a long line of people offering their development knowledge to improve Dodian in any way. So as bad as it is, I'm what you've got. Arch has offered his hand though, but I don't think he has nearly enough time to be writing a new server to replace the current one. It's more like he'll have time to fix some bugs here and there, and add some smaller additions when he has time.

I've long been pursuing this being a community-driven thing for the sake of nostalgia. Instead of this repeating cycle of "wanna-be-professional" shit-fest that keeps going. Ideally everyone would have free access to everything from hosting providers to databases to codebases and what not, and everyone effectively being admins. But let's be real, that's not feasible. However, I'm willing to be quite flexible with anyone offering their hand to help Dodian progress. I've talked to people before, but most people seem to want to take a path that leads away from Dodian, while that is cool and all, that still isn't Dodian and we can't replace Dodian with that.

However, from time to time I am actually working towards getting Dodian what it needs, but like I've said a ton of times already, it's a lot of work. It's definitely taking a lot longer than I (and anyone else as well) have hoped for, but considering I'm a perfectionist, and I'm aiming for top quality (OSRS level quality standard), it'll help Dodian get a foundation to build on the day that is done.
You're just fine, take your time. We still got a place to hang and just look at when we feel old
Old 02-18-2022   #7
Nozemi
Admin & Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice L View Post
You're just fine, take your time. We still got a place to hang and just look at when we feel old
Yeah, just feel like people always get the wrong idea haha. It’s not making it easier that I lack a lot of experience when it comes to RS specific knowledge. Like the most recent issue I had was NPC updating. Spawning NPCs will either not show them at all or I’ll be disconnected. I’ll probably figure it out eventually (with some good help), been struck out with covid lately so have been unable to focus my brain the past week.
Old 02-28-2022   #8
Psionyx

It is a horrible shame that people keep seeking exploits on a server thats up mostly for nostalgia sake. I've been inactive as of late, seeing as theres no activity for the most part. But when new server/source is up and/or current issues are fixed and life comes back, im right here to continue to enforce fair gameplay
As for maxing myself, i've been holding out till new source release, i def have alot of work to do but yes i totally agree its not very fun being alone in the world lol
Psionyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022   #9
Nozemi
Admin & Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionyx View Post
It is a horrible shame that people keep seeking exploits on a server thats up mostly for nostalgia sake. I've been inactive as of late, seeing as theres no activity for the most part. But when new server/source is up and/or current issues are fixed and life comes back, im right here to continue to enforce fair gameplay
As for maxing myself, i've been holding out till new source release, i def have alot of work to do but yes i totally agree its not very fun being alone in the world lol
I share these opinions, I personally want to play as well, but I'd want a fixed and smoother experience before I do.

Also, people will always try to find and exploit bugs, glitches or otherwise flawed software by any means possible. This is the same anywhere on the internet, no matter the age of the community or product. I guess it is indeed a shame that people do so. At the same time, how much can we blame them, considering how long this dupe has been available. Guess the nicest players would tell us before exploiting it, meanwhile others try to go ham with it and break the economy, then another group of people who (try to) casually abuse it hoping not to get caught.

Point with the previous paragraph being that it's ultimately on the development team (me and Arch), it's we that haven't fixed the server yet, so we automatically have the biggest blame, especially for the current state. However, it would help if all people tried to play fair, but since that won't ever happen, we need to find other means.

---

On another account, I've been doing a lot of development towards a new Dodian using RS Mod v2, and made a fair bit of progress (everything is open source on Dodian's GitHub organization). I will update that whenever I find time to, and sadly it's not easy for anyone without a decent amount of time and programming experience to contribute towards it yet . However, I'll work towards better catering around community contributions (since I've been preaching about them for so long, it would only make sense to at least provide an easy to setup environment the community can mess with).

Additionally I've made the decision to keep everything aside from the (new) website open source and available on GitHub. This is because I don't see any reason for keeping Dodian closed source in 2022... I won't be the person stopping people from attempting to run their own version of Dodian with whatever we have open source.

However, I've recently decided to go all in and try to start my own business, which is A LOT of work. Among other things I've written a planning document of 27 pages, and a pricing calculator to help me find pricing models that are reasonable for me and my potential customers. Additionally it's a lot of work to do the necessary research revolving around the requirements and laws etc with starting/having a company. Despite the amount of time it takes, it's pretty exciting! However, it doesn't leave a whole lot of time to work on Dodian on an average day

That said, when things are more complete/solid in the repository both in terms of smoothness in setting it up locally, without having to read 30 pages of documentation. Some guidelines for peer contributions. Documentation on how to develop content/plugins for the server. I'll create an official announcement, and probably also have a live beta world that isn't anything more than a proof of concept, but it'll at least be that! Then we can hopefully continue to gradually progress towards swapping the old sloth with a new leopard.