Dodian Forums

Go Back   Dodian Forums > Dodian Community > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2019   #1
Oof

Default Oof

I've commented on this on another post.

It's pretty disappointing that in a unpolished beta you are expecting people to pay for premium.

1.) It lowers the amount of people who can check for bugs (In a beta bug testing should be the #1 concern).

2.) It's disappointing because from the outside looking in it makes it look like the only goal is to get a profit in the short months that this will be alive for then scrap the project without any future planning in mind.

I understand that money is required for the domain, web hosting, server hosting and advertisement (if that is happening at all). But honestly we don't even need a website right now. The only people playing this heard from the discord servers. Very little if any of the player base is from web traffic alone. And even if it was you could stand up the webserver yourself and have it redirect to a discord link.

All in all I'm very disappointed where this is going and I think this is just going to be another crash and burn and nothing done so far has made this look any different.
Oof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019   #2
Nozemi

[MENTION=4783]Artur[/MENTION] what did I tell you?

I've been against the premium the whole time. Mostly for the same reasons that you're stating. However, the rest of the admins didn't agree with me on that.

I have no idea why you're saying nothing has been done, when the beta has been out for only a couple of days. I'm already working on getting this into better shape. It will however take a bit of time. I'm hoping to make a transition this weekend.

The hosting expenses needed for this project isn't exactly high, or at least doesn't need to be. I can host both the server and website at my place for free. If DDoS would become an issue, I'd take care of that as well.

The expensive stuff happens if we choose to advertise and pay other developers to do advanced things that I can't. Like bigger and complicated changes in the client etc.
Old 02-21-2019   #3
Oof

Yeah sorry for being misleading there, when I say nothing has been done I mean more so that I don't like where I see it heading.

People are already getting to dodian's equivalent of endgame content and it's been a few days. Player base is too low etc.

I really want this to succeed but yeah just not seeing a true gameplan yet.
Old 02-21-2019   #4
Dodian23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozemi View Post
[MENTION=4783]Artur[/MENTION] what did I tell you?

I've been against the premium the whole time. Mostly for the same reasons that you're stating. However, the rest of the admins didn't agree with me on that.

I have no idea why you're saying nothing has been done, when the beta has been out for only a couple of days. I'm already working on getting this into better shape. It will however take a bit of time. I'm hoping to make a transition this weekend.

The hosting expenses needed for this project isn't exactly high, or at least doesn't need to be. I can host both the server and website at my place for free. If DDoS would become an issue, I'd take care of that as well.

The expensive stuff happens if we choose to advertise and pay other developers to do advanced things that I can't. Like bigger and complicated changes in the client etc.
I believe you will do well with whatever you're coming up with
Dodian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019   #5
Luke
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oof View Post
Yeah sorry for being misleading there, when I say nothing has been done I mean more so that I don't like where I see it heading.

People are already getting to dodian's equivalent of endgame content and it's been a few days. Player base is too low etc.

I really want this to succeed but yeah just not seeing a true gameplan yet.
Not sure what you mean by getting to endgame content. This is not true at all, most of the endgame content you're talking about is only accessible through slayer and I can assure that it has barely even been touched. None of the best inslots have even been obtained so far. There are also a lot of incoming updates that will extend the gameplay and content by a lot. We only went through with premium because we know we would be making the switch within the week and not keep people in this limited version for more than a few days to start leveling their account.
Old 02-22-2019   #6
Swish Jake

They really aren't getting much for premium though? maybe 10 items max and nech? Not like they really have an advantage and no one is forcing any one to buy it.
Swish Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019   #7
Oof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Not sure what you mean by getting to endgame content. This is not true at all, most of the endgame content you're talking about is only accessible through slayer and I can assure that it has barely even been touched. None of the best inslots have even been obtained so far. There are also a lot of incoming updates that will extend the gameplay and content by a lot. We only went through with premium because we know we would be making the switch within the week and not keep people in this limited version for more than a few days to start leveling their account.
Just doesn't make sense to me to call this a beta then try to profit off the player base. If you need money for hosting give the option for people to donate to help with hosting. Whole things seems like a cash grab.

And also I hope you're right because dodian end game imo is when almost every 99 is reached. We have multiple players half way or closer to 99 in a skill. Once that happens population drops. You have about 2 weeks tops to have the player base you have now which is not much. I want this to succeed but I don't think the team is aware of how little time you have with everyone's attention.
Old 02-22-2019   #8
Nozemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oof View Post
Just doesn't make sense to me to call this a beta then try to profit off the player base. If you need money for hosting give the option for people to donate to help with hosting. Whole things seems like a cash grab.

And also I hope you're right because dodian end game imo is when almost every 99 is reached. We have multiple players half way or closer to 99 in a skill. Once that happens population drops. You have about 2 weeks tops to have the player base you have now which is not much. I want this to succeed but I don't think the team is aware of how little time you have with everyone's attention.
I'm aware, but things take the time they take. I don't even know why it was released in the shape that it is now. I thought [MENTION=1]Logan[/MENTION] worked on a new server which he was going to release.

Now I've joined to do exactly that. It might be a tough fight to keep the playerbase, but one of very few times, we're actually going to see bigger things happen here.

As I've mentioned a few times by now; I'm preparing this new source for the transition. It will be an alpha kind of deal, where I will transfer the current stats and banks to this alpha, but I won't be keeping the progression made in this state. The new source will very likely have a lot of fine-tuning to be done to be ready for release. Fine-tuning that might break the whole game if not done.
Old 02-22-2019   #9
Oof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozemi View Post
I'm aware, but things take the time they take. I don't even know why it was released in the shape that it is now. I thought [MENTION=1]Logan[/MENTION] worked on a new server which he was going to release.

Now I've joined to do exactly that. It might be a tough fight to keep the playerbase, but one of very few times, we're actually going to see bigger things happen here.

As I've mentioned a few times by now; I'm preparing this new source for the transition. It will be an alpha kind of deal, where I will transfer the current stats and banks to this alpha, but I won't be keeping the progression made in this state. The new source will very likely have a lot of fine-tuning to be done to be ready for release. Fine-tuning that might break the whole game if not done.
I appreciate your realism with this, I wish the team nothing but luck. Hopefully some good things to come.